Many RICS-regulated surveyors hold client monies and are therefore covered by the accounts rules, however are no longer required to obtain an annual accountant’s report checking compliance. We perform an audit under the RICS rules to check that client monies are being properly administered. This tends to work quite well when there are a number of branches without a central finance function. In these cases we always prepare a report containing recommendations for improvements to the systems and controls.
Surveying practices sometimes run estate and property management functions, when it is vital that the RICS rules on client monies are adhered to as outlined above. However, we also work with our surveyor clients to advise on the most efficient tax structure for their estate clients, such as the use of trusts. Our financial planning team can additionally help with investment strategies for estate clients.
As with so many other professional practices, surveyors have been hit by the downturn. Cashflow has been squeezed and we often assist our clients in preparing financial projections as a way of focusing on costcutting as well as for banking facility reviews.
If you would like more information about our services to surveyors then please contact Karen Hain on 01772 821021.
- The Law Society - the regulatory and representative body for 116,000 solicitors in England & Wales
- The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) - the RIBA has over 30,000 members and is one of the most influential architectural institutions in the world
- The National Association of Estate Agents - the regulatory body for estate agent
- The Association of Residential Lettings Agents (ARLA) - Information on ARLA and its bonding scheme for landlords and tenants
- The National Approved Letting Scheme (NALS) - A professional body designed to promote quality standards to lettings and management agents
- The Bar Council - which represents Barristers in England and Wales
- The Solicitors Regulation Authority - regulates solicitors in England and Wales
- The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors - professional body for qualifications and standards in land, property and construction